In 2011 TELUS embarked on a journey to build two world-class internet data centres (IDC) that would support best-in-class integrated cloud and managed IT solutions for their customers. Over 80% more energy-efficient than traditional data centres, the new $65 million facility in Rimouski, Quebec boasts maximum reliability and security, and is one of the most energy efficient and environmentally friendly purpose-built data centres of its kind in North America.
Their story is below…
Putting customers first
As the only company in Canada with two Tier III facilities built to the highest standards in reliability, security and performance, our customers can harness the power of next generation cloud computing and unified communication solutions. Among our proudest accomplishments is the innovative approach in which teams collaborated to bring the vision to life. Teams across TELUS came together with the industry’s best external partners to collaborate and drive innovation into every aspect of the architecture, design, build and operations.
Green is good
Our teams challenged themselves to develop innovative solutions and new processes that would change the game for TELUS and our customers. Designed around an advanced foundation of security, privacy and sustainability, this data centre facility is technologically exceptional in many ways.
- Natural cooling: The facility uses natural cooling from outside air and only requires 40 hours per year of cooling via mechanical systems. This innovative approach was implemented through collaboration between TELUS and a partner specializing in energy management systems and has been so successful that TELUS is looking to deliver dramatic cooling system improvements in eight of our other data centres.
- Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE): An industry leading PUE of 1.15 means in the initial phase we achieve 10,643,000 kWh of energy savings per year: enough to power 915 households, and 329 tons of carbon savings.
- Water Usage Effectiveness (WUE) of 0.23 Litre/kWh: The technology minimizes water consumption, resulting in a WUE that is approximately four times less when compared to traditional data centres saving 17 million litres of water per year.
- World class design: With a Tier III design and 80% more energy-efficient than traditional data centres, this is the first TELUS internet data centre built to LEED Gold standards and one of only seven institutions in Canada certified by the Uptime Institute.
- Modular design: The modular concept enables rapid expansion while leveraging the latest information technology, environmental, power, and cooling breakthroughs.
- Protected power: Dynamic Rotary UPS (DRUPS) eliminates the need for massive amounts of lead-acid batteries, which are hazardous elements requiring regular replacement and safe disposal.
To leverage the learning achieved through this project, TELUS has established a center of excellence across our IT, network infrastructure and facilities teams empowering them to continue working together to drive innovation across our solutions and our energy and sustainable business practices portfolios. In fact, we’ve incorporated all of what we’ve learned from this project into our second state-of-the-art TELUS IDC, which will open in Kamloops, B.C. later in 2013.