CEO, Landmark Group of Builders
Making sustainable home building possible and profitable was Reza’s goal in rethinking and redesigning the way homes are built. A critical component in his innovations was industrializing the construction process of residential homes with his Landmark Precision Building System (LPBS), which reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 6.21 tonnes per home and produces 58% less waste compared with traditional site-built methods.
Having figured out how to create almost net-zero ready homes in one of Canada’s most demanding climates, Reza then sold them for virtually the same price as “regular” homes – and then – demonstrated his methods to his competitors!Reza Nasseri - Notoriously modest Clean16 Honouree and Landmark Group of Builders CEO Reza Nasseri describes the way in which his company builds residential homes for one of the toughest climates on the planet - makes them almost "net zero" ready - and then delivers them to Albertans at virtually the same cost as the "typical" homes that consume much more energy right next door. "Net Zero" homes consume essentially the same amount of energy they themselves produce. "Net Zero Ready" refers to homes that will, with the rooftop installation of today's solar panels by the homeowner, reach that goal. To manage that in Edmonton is pretty special And to do it at the same cost is even more so.
Commitments for 2013: In September 2012 at the Clean50 Summit, most attendees made public commitments for things they would do to "further sustainability" over the next 12 months. Nasseri's commitments were:- I will work with policy-makers
- I will continue to build my own capacity as a sustainability practitioner
- I will compare my organization's metrics for meaningfulness and compare to industry peers and submit recommendation
- I will Advocate for the development of district energy, biofuel, waste-to-energy facilities in Canadian municipalities using Clean Tech
In Addition: Honourees identified good ideas they liked and would do their best to support. Nasseri's "Likes" were:- I will work through my industry (or other sector) organization to share best practice and identify synergies
- I will publish five success stories of sustainable business
- I will have my organization finance an award recognizing sustainability achievement
- I will scale innovation by
- I/we will advocate for establishment of municipal bylaws and politics that promote sustainable development/infrastructure
- Develop sustainability award program to recognize and reward action
- Establish long-term sustainability goals and KPIs to track performance
- Educate consumers on more sustainable products and practices