Reid’s Heritage Homes: Building Net Zero Homes in a Production Setting

Net Zero Energy (NZE) homes in theory produce the same amount of energy as their occupants use, through building in a combination of both energy generation and conservation.  While the idea has been around for a while, production home builders have struggled to find a combination that produced results, and was sufficiently affordable that consumers would buy it.

Joining a group of Canadian builders working with suppliers and with NRCAN support, Reid’s focused  heavily on exploring construction and building techniques, insulation methodologies, and working with local suppliers, appliance manufacturers, and the University of Guelph  to try and extract both energy and cost efficiencies.  The net (or rather, net zero) result was 5 homes whose consumption dropped by 80% – allowing for solar panels to cover the remaining 20%.